by Dennis Clayton
Ingomar and Pine Grove squared off in the season opener for each team and came away with a split decision as Pine Grove took the girls contest 48-42 and Ingomar won the boys nightcap 83-51.
In the boys game, Pine Grove opened with an early lead, but the Falcons roared back to take a 23-10 lead after a quarter. Sam Cobb and Laquain Foster had six points apiece to pace the Falcons during the quarter.
Second quarter play saw the Falcons drain three 3-pointers to extend their lead to at the half to 43-22. Ingomar would hit eight 3-pointers during the contest.
Ingomar came back from the half and put up their biggest point total for a quarter as they torched the nets for 26 points and stretched their advantage to 69-38. The Falcons breezed through the rest of the game and took the 83-51 win.
Leading scorers for the Falcons were Joseph Broom 16, Laquain Foster 12, Alex Jeter 11 and Kelton Hall 11. Pine Grove was led by Garrett Barnes with 20 and Jordan Staggs 11.
Pine Grove took the early advantage in the girls game, but the young Lady Falcons fought back to make the contest close. Pine Grove led 17-6 after one quarter. Ingomar came back and had the slight advantage in the second quarter as the teams broke for half with Pine Grove leading 27-17.
The Lady Falcons cooled off in the third quarter and Pine Grove expanded their lead to 15 points as they lead 37-22 after the quarter.
However Ingomar owned the fourth quarter and closed the gap to 44-42 after hitting a 3-pointer with 39.3 seconds left. Pine Grove was able to fight off the youthful Lady Falcons and gain the win 48-42.
Leading scorers for Ingomar were: Mallory Russell with 12 and Lauren Thompson added 8. Leading scorers for Pine Grove were Akins and Fryar with 10 points.
Ingomar splits with Pine Grove in hoops opener
by Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...