Norris Strickland, 80
Norris Strickland, 80, of Golden, died Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, at his home.
He was born March 14, 1933, in Franklin County, Ala., to Clinton Aubrey Strickland and Flora Elizabeth Garrison. He was a communicant of All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Tupelo. He enlisted in the Air Force in 1952 in Memphis, Tenn. He was stationed in Mobile, Ala., Iceland, Presque Isle, Bangor, Maine, and Niagara Falls, N.Y. In 1961, he returned to Franklin County, Ala., and became a farmer and hog producer with his father and brother-in-law. In 1970, he returned to school and for the next 25 years he was a tool and die mechanic at Walker in Aberdeen. He retired from Tecumseh Products in Tupelo. With his sons, Robert and Douglas, he operated a portable sawmill until his health failed.
He is survived by his wife and companion of 58 years, Darcy Strickland of Golden; his children, William Strickland of Golden, Catherine Carter (Kenny) of Hamilton, Ala., Mary Boyle (Tim) of Shaker Heights, Ohio, Margaret VanLandingham (Wayne) of New Albany, Barbara Thorn of Hamilton, Ala., Robert Strickland (Susan) of Red Bay, Ala., Douglas Strickland of Golden and Deborah Orrick (John) of Tupelo; 23 grandchildren, Anne Marie Walker, Rebecca Boeding, Katherine Pharr, Billy Strickland, Robin Mears, Richard Maggerise, Robert Boyle, Andrew Boyle, Colin Boyle, David VanLandingham, Elizabeth VanLandingham, Brittany Thorn, Briana Thorn, Elaina Strickland, Duncan Strickland, Kelly Strickland, Sophia Strickland, Ronald Strickland, Dathan Strickland, Austin Strickland, James Strickland, Josephine Orrick and John Thomas Orrick; 14 great-grandchildren, Samantha, Hailey, Hannah, Alexander, Bradley, Connor, Brayden, Sarah, Anthony “A. J.,” Landen, Will, Athena, Jase and Caleb; one brother, Willis Delbert; and one sister, Shirley Draddy.
He was preceded in death by his parents; infant son, Leonard; one sister, Nell Beany; and one brother, Horace Glenn Strickland.
Services were at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, at All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Tupelo.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to Saints Brew, c/o All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 608 W. Jefferson St., Tupelo, MS 38804.
Expressions of sympathy may be left at www.peguesfuneralhome.com.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...