Mike Speck, 52
Michael D. “Mike” Speck, 52, of Shannon, died suddenly Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013, at his home.
He was born Oct. 22, 1961, in Aurora, Ill., to G.W. Speck Jr. and Itasca Smith Speck Hester. He was a graduate of Myrtle High School and studied music at Mississippi State University. He married Sherri Copeland Grant on Dec. 28, 2006, and worked the past several years as a supervisor in the framing department of VIP Cinema Seating in New Albany, where he was employed at the time of his death. He loved his family, his VIP family and his pet dog, Lucy.
As a teenager he played the guitar and drums with the Victory Life Trio. He was a professional musician, having the gift of playing many musical instruments, singing and song writing. He was back-up, lead guitarist and drummer with David and the Giants, performing with such groups as the Gaithers, Reba McIntyre and many other famous artists while working in Nashville; more recently forming his band, Mike Speck and Southern Thunder, who toured in the 1990s and his most recent band, Alias. He also worked as Lee County Animal Control Officer for several years. He enjoyed WWE Monday night wrestling.
A memorial service celebrating his life was held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30, in the Tupelo chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Bro. Dan Hester officiating. Burial was private.
Survivors include his wife, Sherri Grant Speck of Shannon; mother, Itasca Hester (Bro. Dan Hester) of Guntown; his children, Michael David Speck II of Blue Mountain; Angel Speck, Devon Garcia, Destiny Crossen, Trea Shelby, Shon Grant and Madison Bogan, all of Shannon, Natosha Lesley of Saltillo and Bobbi Stutsy (Shaun) of Pontotoc; brothers, Jimmy Speck (Sue) and Gary Speck (Charlotte), all of Myrtle; sister, Kathy Hall of Charlestown, Ind.; 10 grandchildren; and a host of nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his father; two sisters, Peggy Roberts and Connie Smithey; and two brothers-in-law, Billy Copeland and Kipper Kyle Copeland.
Honorary pallbearers were associates of VIP Cinema Seating.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...