Horace Clay Thomas, 84
With his family by his side, the Rev. Horace Clay Thomas of New Albany, 84, went home to be with his Heavenly Father on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in New Albany.
A man of integrity, Horace was a faithful pastor of the Gospel for 61 years. He leaves behind a godly legacy for his family, and he is remembered for the Christian love he shared with all who knew him.
Horace was born on July 3, 1929, in Baldwyn to Virgil and Myrtle Saylors Thomas. He was a 1947 graduate of Center High School in Union County, and he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biblical Studies from Blue Mountain College in 1959. During his ministry, he served in churches across North Mississippi and the Mississippi Delta. His pastorates include New Harmony, Oak Hill, Glenfield and Wallerville Baptist Churches in Union County; Shiloh and Wheeler Grove Baptist Churches in Alcorn County; Fellowship and Springdale Baptist Churches in Tippah County; First Baptist Church of Hickory Flat; Beldon Baptist Church in Tupelo; Immanuel Baptist Church in Greenwood; and Trinity Baptist Church in Fulton. Horace was a member of Wallerville Baptist Church in New Albany.
He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Dellynne Murrah Thomas of New Albany; one sister, Dayle Thomas, of Los Angeles Calif.; one son, Dr. Gregg Thomas (Karen) of New Albany; one granddaughter, Beth Thomas Harmon (Trent) of Ripley; one grandson, Jonathan Thomas of New Albany; one step-granddaughter, Kayla Doster (Cody) of Columbus; and one step-great-grandson, Caleb Doster of Columbus.
He is preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and four sisters.
Services were at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 29, at the United Funeral Services chapel. Horace’s son, Dr. Gregg Thomas and Bro. Charles Rodgers officiated.
Interment was at Vista Memorial Park in New Albany.
About New Albany Gazette
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer