Toyota fund backs new classes
Although the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures’ opening may still be a few years down the road, organizers for the school are still aggressive in creating new opportunities in education.
Dr. Charles Garrett with the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures, recently spoke to members of Kappa Kappa Iota about the progress of the Wellspring Center and about the importance of having career awareness.
He said that the money isn’t available at this time to build the Wellspring Center yet, but the plans are still to have the center built in the future.
However, Garrett talked about a course that is being implemented in January 2014 through the Toyota Education Enhancement Fund and he talked about another course that might be implemented in the future.
The course that will begin in Jan is the eApp Development and Marketing course. This course will allow high school junior and seniors to write applications for mobile devices. Then, a team of professors from Mississippi State University will demonstrate how to market the app to the Apple App Store, Android Marketplace, or sell on their own.
The deadline has already passed for enrollment. Academic credit will be received from the respective high school and Mississippi State University.
The classes will be held online on Tuesdays and Thursdays from the respective school from 7:45-8:35 a.m. and will be held from 9-11 a.m. on Saturdays at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi in Blue Springs.
The other course that is still in the planning stages is a two-semester course in ‘Careers in the Health Care Industry.’
Garrett said that he believes that career awareness is important for students to develop.
He said, “Whenever someone stops going to school, they need to know what type of jobs and what types of areas they can go into for a career.”
He said that the top five majors in college in the United States are business, general studies, social sciences and history, psychology, and the health profession.
“It would be good if the students could have a broader idea of what they would see when they get ready to walk through this world and know what to do when they see an opportunity. I wish kids would have a bigger frame of reference so when opportunity knocks, they know when to take it,” said Garrett.
For more information call Dr. Garrett at 662-316-3944.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...