Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail.
The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers.
The trail, once followed by explorer Meriwether Lewis, later became the route for the narrow-gauge railway built by Col. William C. Falkner, great-grandfather of William Faulkner. It is named after one of the engines, the “Tanglefoot,” used on the railroad.
Crowds turned out in all three cities for the grand opening. In New Albany, the celebration fittingly was led by Betsey Hamilton, past chairman of the GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District. Her devotion, passion and hard work to the cause of creating the trail cannot be overstated.
Many thousands of visitors are expected to come annually to enjoy the trail and our community. A good number already have; we see them with their bikes in downtown nearly every day.
The next step is to move forward with an appropriate trailhead building with restrooms near downtown. That too will come.
Our take away from the Sunday ceremony was the reminder of what communities pulling together can do. Three counties and six communities came together on this project and all of the communities and counties will benefit, as will their citizens, who will enjoy a better quality of life.
It came out well and we all should take pride in it.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...