Urchins keep streak alive
History making continues for East Union, who toppled the New Site Royals for its first division win in school history.
The 59-22 final puts the Urchins at 6-0 for the season, and 1-0 for their first outing as a member of division 2-2A.
“We had some big plays that really helped us a lot,” Urchins Head Coach Scott Duley said of the game.
The Urchins finished the night with 494 offensive yards, with one completed pass from quarterback D.J. Armstrong hitting Jacob Elder for a five-yard touchdown.
“We’ve been working on our passing game more in the past few weeks,” Duley said. “Now that we are in division we are aware that in order to win games and to give our team the best shot that we needed to open the playbook and do things teams haven’t seen.”
As has been the routine all season, East Union earned most of its points from the running game with running back Blake Spruill leading the way with 209 yards against the Royals.
Spruill totaled three touchdowns for the Urchins, along with five extra points and a touchback with double duty as the teams kicker and punter.
“It was a good night for the ground game, we had all of our guys really break open for a long run,” Duley said.
Elder, Jamie McCullough Chase Hall, and Armstrong all added to the rushing touchdown column.
With a still undefeated season, East Union remains focused on getting better each week, looking to build on their success by learning from mistakes, Duley said.
“The one thing I really want to see is that we protect the football better. Against New Site there were three fumbles, which isn’t the way to win a game. We definitely have to protect better,” Duley said.
“But, even so, the team played well. New Site did a good job, they were ready for our offense so our change up really gave us an advantage there,” Duley said.
With another division game waiting for this Friday, the upcoming three games will provide the most difficult test for the Urchins, Duley said.
“We are just going to take it one game at a time, one team at a time. We just have to get ready for the next team, and we are approaching it the same,” Duley said.
Walnut High School’s Wildcats will be the most althetic team that the Urchins have faced so far this season, Duley said.
“We will really have to come out and play mistake free football. This team is well coached, athletic and they don’t really make mistakes….we will need no mistakes and a great effort on Friday,” Duley said.
The Urchins follow up with a visit to Baldwyn before hosting Mantatchie.
East Union 59, New Site 22
East Union 14 20 6 29 — 59
New Site 8 6 0 8 — 22
EUHS – Jacob Elder 5-yard pass from D.J. Armstrong, (Blake Spruill kick), 11:36
NSHS – JT Herring 12-yard run, (Kole Jackon kick), 3:31
EUHS – Elder 26-yard run, (Spruill kick), 0:38
EUHS – D.J. Armstrong 7-yard run (Spruill kick). 10:48
NSHS – Kole Jackson 5-yard run (Run failed), 7:49
EUHS – Spruill 28-yard run, (Spruill kick), 7:33
EUHS – Spruill 42-yard run (Kick blocked), 1:07
EUHS – DJ rmstrong 17-yard run, (Spruill kick), 4:42
EUHS – Chase Hall 51-yard rum (Spruill kick), 4:42
NSHS – Herring 5-yard run (Herring run), 1:51
EUHS – Jamie McCullough 50-yard run (Run failed), 1:30.
Records: East Union 6-0 (1-0), New Site 2-4 (0-1)
About Chris Elkins
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...