New Albany falls to Pontotoc in five sets
Photo by Dennis Clayton
New Albany came out strong against Pontotoc early, but Pontotoc rallied from a 2-1 deficit and won the match 3-2 on Tuesday. The Lady Bulldogs ran off six straight points to begin the set, then later ran off four straight points to take the 10-1 lead. New Albany later ran off another string of points as they increased the lead from 19-11 to 23-11 and took the first set 25-14.
Pontotoc jumped out to the early lead in the second set and New Albany could never catch up, even though they close the score to 19-16 before falling 25-18.
The Lady Bulldogs were red-hot in the early stages of the third set as they raced to a 9-0 lead. Pontotoc fought back to tie the score at 18-18 and came within a point of winning the set as they took a 24-22 lead. New Albany reached back and fought to tie the set at 25-25 and went on to score the final two points to take a 27-25 win and lead the match 2-1.
In the fourth set, New Albany again took the early lead at 7-1. However Pontotoc rallied to tie the set at 8-8 later. The teams would see nine ties and numerous lead changes before the Lady Warriors came out on top 25-23 to even the match at two sets apiece.
The fifth and deciding set saw New Albany take an early 2-0 before falling behind as much as 9-3 before closing the difference.Three different times the Lady Bulldogs got within a point of the lead, but just could not get the ball to go their way and Pontotoc hung on to win 15-11.
It was a hard fought contest for a division win between the neighboring sports rivals and both teams played aggressively.
Statistical leaders for New Albany were: Darby Mills – 13 kills, 3 blocks, 3 aces; Emma Wilson – 12 kills; Erin Michael Carter – 9 kills, 2 aces; Hannah Anderson – 14 assists, 4 kills, 5 aces and Christina Jefferies – 4 kills, 4 aces.
by Dennis Clayton
Follow Dennis on Twitter: @denclayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball