New Albany falls to Pontotoc in five sets
Photo by Dennis Clayton
New Albany came out strong against Pontotoc early, but Pontotoc rallied from a 2-1 deficit and won the match 3-2 on Tuesday. The Lady Bulldogs ran off six straight points to begin the set, then later ran off four straight points to take the 10-1 lead. New Albany later ran off another string of points as they increased the lead from 19-11 to 23-11 and took the first set 25-14.
Pontotoc jumped out to the early lead in the second set and New Albany could never catch up, even though they close the score to 19-16 before falling 25-18.
The Lady Bulldogs were red-hot in the early stages of the third set as they raced to a 9-0 lead. Pontotoc fought back to tie the score at 18-18 and came within a point of winning the set as they took a 24-22 lead. New Albany reached back and fought to tie the set at 25-25 and went on to score the final two points to take a 27-25 win and lead the match 2-1.
In the fourth set, New Albany again took the early lead at 7-1. However Pontotoc rallied to tie the set at 8-8 later. The teams would see nine ties and numerous lead changes before the Lady Warriors came out on top 25-23 to even the match at two sets apiece.
The fifth and deciding set saw New Albany take an early 2-0 before falling behind as much as 9-3 before closing the difference.Three different times the Lady Bulldogs got within a point of the lead, but just could not get the ball to go their way and Pontotoc hung on to win 15-11.
It was a hard fought contest for a division win between the neighboring sports rivals and both teams played aggressively.
Statistical leaders for New Albany were: Darby Mills – 13 kills, 3 blocks, 3 aces; Emma Wilson – 12 kills; Erin Michael Carter – 9 kills, 2 aces; Hannah Anderson – 14 assists, 4 kills, 5 aces and Christina Jefferies – 4 kills, 4 aces.
by Dennis Clayton
Follow Dennis on Twitter: @denclayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer