Auditor demands $398,000 from Golding
From staff reports
The state auditor’s office has made a civil demand for payment by former Union County Medical Examiner-Investigator Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83. This comes after auditors discovered Golding had submitted false claims totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors for death investigations he did not perform.
Additionally, the increased payments added to Golding’s potential retirement benefits through the Mississippi Public Employees Retirement System.
Golding resigned as coroner June 6, 2013, and his retirement account was frozen for 90 days by a Union County Circuit Court order issued Aug. 29. A spokesperson for the auditor’s office said the investigation began after a routine audit.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said during the 90-day freeze, his office plans to work with PERS to reduce the inappropriate benefits.
Golding’s case is expected to be brought before the Union County grand jury in October where criminal charges could be brought in addition to and separate from the civil demand.
A special election will be held Nov. 5 to fill the coroner’s post.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...