From staff reports
The state auditor’s office has made a civil demand for payment by former Union County Medical Examiner-Investigator Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83. This comes after auditors discovered Golding had submitted false claims totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors for death investigations he did not perform.
Additionally, the increased payments added to Golding’s potential retirement benefits through the Mississippi Public Employees Retirement System.
Golding resigned as coroner June 6, 2013, and his retirement account was frozen for 90 days by a Union County Circuit Court order issued Aug. 29. A spokesperson for the auditor’s office said the investigation began after a routine audit.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said during the 90-day freeze, his office plans to work with PERS to reduce the inappropriate benefits.
Golding’s case is expected to be brought before the Union County grand jury in October where criminal charges could be brought in addition to and separate from the civil demand.
A special election will be held Nov. 5 to fill the coroner’s post.
Auditor demands $398,000 from Golding
From staff reports
About New Albany Gazette
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...