Auditor demands $398,000 from Golding
From staff reports
The state auditor’s office has made a civil demand for payment by former Union County Medical Examiner-Investigator Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83. This comes after auditors discovered Golding had submitted false claims totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors for death investigations he did not perform.
Additionally, the increased payments added to Golding’s potential retirement benefits through the Mississippi Public Employees Retirement System.
Golding resigned as coroner June 6, 2013, and his retirement account was frozen for 90 days by a Union County Circuit Court order issued Aug. 29. A spokesperson for the auditor’s office said the investigation began after a routine audit.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said during the 90-day freeze, his office plans to work with PERS to reduce the inappropriate benefits.
Golding’s case is expected to be brought before the Union County grand jury in October where criminal charges could be brought in addition to and separate from the civil demand.
A special election will be held Nov. 5 to fill the coroner’s post.
About New Albany Gazette
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...