From staff reports
The state auditor’s office has made a civil demand for payment by former Union County Medical Examiner-Investigator Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83. This comes after auditors discovered Golding had submitted false claims totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors for death investigations he did not perform.
Additionally, the increased payments added to Golding’s potential retirement benefits through the Mississippi Public Employees Retirement System.
Golding resigned as coroner June 6, 2013, and his retirement account was frozen for 90 days by a Union County Circuit Court order issued Aug. 29. A spokesperson for the auditor’s office said the investigation began after a routine audit.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said during the 90-day freeze, his office plans to work with PERS to reduce the inappropriate benefits.
Golding’s case is expected to be brought before the Union County grand jury in October where criminal charges could be brought in addition to and separate from the civil demand.
A special election will be held Nov. 5 to fill the coroner’s post.
Auditor demands $398,000 from Golding
From staff reports
About New Albany Gazette
- County still trying to find solution to likely loss of jail trusties June 24, 2015
- Museum Madness registration underway July 1, 2015
- Groundbreaking for museum expansion will be Thursday July 1, 2015
- Man faces series of auto burglary, theft charges July 1, 2015
- Holiday weekend schedule changes include rare Saturday circuit clerk opening July 1, 2015
- Spring cleaning? Well, sort of July 1, 2015
- Honoring our nation July 1, 2015
- City school board adopts no-tax-increase budget, makes money-saving deals July 1, 2015
- Supervisors discuss funding Tupelo women’s shelter, industrial tax exemptions July 1, 2015
- Circuit clerk’s office to be open for voting Saturday despite holiday July 1, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...