From staff reports
The state auditor’s office has made a civil demand for payment by former Union County Medical Examiner-Investigator Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83. This comes after auditors discovered Golding had submitted false claims totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors for death investigations he did not perform.
Additionally, the increased payments added to Golding’s potential retirement benefits through the Mississippi Public Employees Retirement System.
Golding resigned as coroner June 6, 2013, and his retirement account was frozen for 90 days by a Union County Circuit Court order issued Aug. 29. A spokesperson for the auditor’s office said the investigation began after a routine audit.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said during the 90-day freeze, his office plans to work with PERS to reduce the inappropriate benefits.
Golding’s case is expected to be brought before the Union County grand jury in October where criminal charges could be brought in addition to and separate from the civil demand.
A special election will be held Nov. 5 to fill the coroner’s post.
Auditor demands $398,000 from Golding
From staff reports
About New Albany Gazette
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race August 21, 2015
- Everett discusses book profiling Revolutionary War spies August 21, 2015
- Elliott debunks Faulkner ‘myths’ in museum program August 26, 2015
- Northeast at New Albany NEMCC campus reports record enrollment August 26, 2015
- Mississippi Bureau of Investigation looking into stop, one-hour pursuit that ended with suspect’s unexplained death August 26, 2015
- Every vote important August 28, 2015
- No tax increase for city residents, 2016 budget largely unchanged also August 28, 2015
- Linel-up for November general election ballot finally clear August 28, 2015
- Bright wants to take another look at boxes in one-vote margin loss August 28, 2015
- Basil retains school superintendent seat; supervisor’s race down to one vote August 28, 2015
Subscribe to Blog via Email
© 2015 New Albany Gazette. All Rights Reserved.