The Tanglefoot Trail officially opens tomorrow, bringing with it new opportunities for New Albany and Union County to demonstrate our hospitality.
The more than 44-mile paved path starting in downtown New Albany and ending in Houston is expected to attract walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers.
The trail, once followed by explorer Meriwether Lewis, later became the route for the narrow-gauge railway built by Col. William C. Falkner, great-grandfather of William Faulkner. It is named after one of the engines, the “Tanglefoot,” used on the railroad.
The trail is run by the Board of Directors of the GM&O Rails-To-Trails Recreational District of North Mississippi, whose chairman is our own Betsy Hamilton.
Hamilton has worked long and hard to help promote the trail and its importance to our community and we thank her for it.
We expect use of the trail will start slowly, especially here in New Albany where a small segment at the U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) overpass remains closed because of construction. We also still lack, because of a lack of money, a headquarters building at the trailhead.
But use will steadily build and projections are that many thousands of visitors will come annually to enjoy the trail and our community. It’s another milestone in the progress of our community.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...