by Dennis Clayton
West Union’s Lady Eagles overcame their lack of offense with some serious defense to claim the title of Union County Champs in Saturday’s slow pitch softball tournament at BNA Bank Park. The Lady Eagles scored 14 runs in four games, but only gave up 3 runs to opponents. All of those runs came in the extra inning contest against New Albany which was won by West Union 4-3.
The deciding game for the tournament was also the final game for the Lady Eagles and they were pitted against East Union, whose only loss came in their first game of the day against Myrtle by a 7-4 score. East Union turned things around and defeated Ingomar 11-6 and New Albany 5-1.
West Union came into the final game with a record of 3-0, with a 7-0 win over Ingomar, the 4-3 extra-inning win over New Albany, and a 1-0 win over Myrtle. Both West Union and East Union were feeling the effects of the heat and the load of playing three games in a short period of time when their game began.
West Union wasted little time in plating their runs as they sent seven batters to the plate in the bottom of the first inning. With one out, Brittany Taylor walked and was followed by Bailey Bogue who singled. Cleanup hitter Julianna Garner, who had a big tournament defensively at shortstop, drove in Taylor with an RBI single. Gracen Conlee singled to load the bases with still only one out in the inning. Chase Coffey grounded into a fielder’s choice that drove in Bogue from third. The inning ended on a pop-up to short.
East Union could manage only one hit through three innings, a Callie Frazier single in the second. It would be the only hit of the game for the Lady Urchins. However, with two out in the fourth inning, the Lady Urchins tried to mount a rally after back to back errors helped Savannah Alexander and Katey Hunt reach base and East Union had runners at the corners, but a pop-up to short ended the threat.
Julianna Garner was the only player to collect multiple hits. Callie Baggett was the winning pitcher, getting her fourth shutout of the day while allowing one hit and walking none.
Coach Lisa Bogue said “The defense all day was our victory because our bats were not where they need to be, so we knew we were not going to score a lot, we’re not hitting like we need to be. We relied on our defense to pull us through the day. Julianna Garner made an amazing play every game, she is non-stop at shortstop.”
Lady Eagles are Union County Softball Tournament Champs
by Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Campaign kicks off August 15, 2014
- Football, food and a magazine August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?