Fix school security now
New Albany Elementary School has more than 1,300 students, faculty and staff at the school every school day, but does not have a city police officer at the school.
That’s not a misprint. The Board of Alderman has failed for years to budget for a school resource officer at New Albany Elementary even though a majority of the city school population is there. The high school, middle school and alternative school all have school resource officers that are regular city police officers.
Superintendent Jackie Ford said the school board had volunteered to pay half the cost of a school resource officer because the Board of Trustees thinks it is important, but the city so far has not agreed to finance the other half.
Fortunately, that may change. New Police Chief Chris Robertson said he thinks having an officer at the school is a priority and he plans to save enough money through a retirement to phase in an officer at the school by Jan. 1.
“Mr. Ford and I are in agreement about its importance, but I’ve been told by the city that the budget is tight and it was unlikely I could get a new position,” the chief said.
We think having a police officer at the school not only provides security, but also creates a good first experience for children with police. It’s importance cannot be overstated.
We think January is too long to wait. The Board of Aldermen should add enough money to the police budget to pay for a new position until January.
In light of recent events nationally, the current situation is shocking. It should be fixed now.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...