East Union runs to win over Houlka
East Union runs to win over Houlka
By Dennis Clayton
East Union had several new faces in the lineup and in the backfield, but that didn’t prevent them from running over and around the visiting Houlka Wildcats on Friday night. Coach Scott Duley said “I thought our boys showed a lot of heart and it was the most disciplined that I have ever seen us for a first game. You can tell that the young men from East Union are getting better at playing football.”
The first half highlights belonged mostly to Blake Spruill and Jacob Elder as they both scored two touchdowns. Elder hauled in a 43-yard strike from quarterback D.J. Armstrong with 5:52 remaining in the first quarter to help the Urchins break on top. Spruill added the PAT and East Union led 7-0.
Spruill scored with 2:08 left in the opening quarter on a 33-yard run to put the Urchins up 13-0. the PAT was missed. Houlka then scored their lone touchdown of the night on a Wyatt Esterley to Tyreque Reed pass of 65 yards. The two point conversion failed and the score stood at 13-6 after one quarter of play. East Union scored two touchdowns in the second quarter on touchdown runs of 8 yards by Spruill and 21 yards by Elder. Armstrong added a two point conversion and Spruill added the PAT after the fourth touchdown of the game. The teams went to half with East Union leading 28-6.
Spruill had issues with leg cramps in the second half and gave way to Jamie McCullough, who promptly sped through defenders on a 34-yard TD run at 10:52 left in the third quarter. East Union recovered a Houlka fumble at the Wildcat 22 and after a couple of running plays by McCullough got East Union down to the seven yard line, Armstrong scored on a scamper around the right side of the offensive line for a 7-yd touchdown.
Spuill finished the night with 13 carries for 171 yards and two TD’s. Elder had one rushing TD on two carries for 57 yards and his TD reception of 43 yards. McCullough had 11 carries for 146 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback D.J. Armstrong was 5 of 7 passing for 75 yards and a touchdown. Armstrong also carried the ball five times for 50 yards and a touchdown.
East Union travels to Middleton, Tenn. for next week’s game. Middleton suffered a 59-29 loss to Falkner Friday.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...