Hospital traffic flow
The construction of a new emergency room complex on the backside of Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County is bringing to the fore a significant problem: traffic flow.
The $12 million addition will have 22 exam rooms, two trauma rooms and two triage rooms. It also will mean one of the entrances to the hospital and an expanded parking lot will be accessed from Oxford Road.
The existing emergency room, with seven exam rooms, serves about 25,000 patients a year in its cramped quarters.
We expect that number to rise significantly when the new addition is completed.
As we see it, the traffic flow behind the hospital already is a problem and it’s going to get worse.
What we don’t see so far is any pro-active plan by the city to make it better.
Coulter Drive next to the Waffle House is too narrow for existing traffic and rounding the corner onto Oxford Road is a challenge in a small sedan. For an ambulance, it will be more of a challenge.
How will large trucks make deliveries to the hospital once the construction project is completed? They can’t come up Oxford Road from Bankhead because the bridge is rated for only 6,000 pounds. And even an experienced driver would find a major challenge in making the 90-degree right turn from Renasant Drive onto Oxford Road. The city’s nice ornamental street sign at the corner wouldn’t survive a month.
A plan to deal with the inadequacies of Coulter Drive and Oxford Road needs to be developed now.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer