Urchins make statement in opener
For East Union, which won its opener with Houlka 40-6, it will be building on the win with a second week of success.
With a big win under their belts, the Urchins are looking to build a consistent season.
“The thing is that last year we would have a great week and then come out the following week and not play so well, so we are looking toward keeping a great effort and attitude on the field each time we enter a game,” Head Coach Scott Duley said.
The Urchins started with a poor drive to open the game, but after a defensive stand against Houlka the offense came out swinging to grab 520 all-purpose yards.
East Union also recovered two Houlka fumbles on defense.
Quarterback D.J. Armstrong completed a 43-yard pass to receiver Jacob Elder to put the Urchins up by 14 while Blake Spurill gained valuable yards on the Urchins second offensive drive to put the team across mid-field and lead to the first score of the night.
While Duley and his coaching staff are pleased with the effort on Friday, the team will focus on tackling and keeping the defensive play sound.
“We want to make sure that we are solid in that area, that kids are in position and ready to play. I’d also like to work on our passing game, and really opening up our offense to see what we can do with it,” Duley said.
East Union will travel to Potts Camp for its Friday game.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer