New Albany and Kossuth Fight to Scoreless Draw
by Dennis Clayton
The fall sports season is officially here. New Albany got their football season started with a two quarter jamboree game at Kossuth. The teams battled to a 0-0 tie. Both offenses made some ball movement, but both were unsuccessful in denting the scoreboard.
Coach Ron Price said “We knew coming in what we wanted to see. We did not move the ball like we wanted to, the defense put us in some great positions to put some points on the board. Kossuth’s defense would make a big play every time and keep us out of the end zone.”
“The kids overall tonight played with great attitudes and gave great effort. Now we need to get back and watch the film and make sure that we (coaches) make the right adjustments for Friday night,” stated Price.
Price noted the play of Jake McDonald on defense saying “he did a great job on defense, he’s having to play on both sides of the ball. He was going a hundred percent tonight and made many plays for us on defense.”
Offensively, Price said “Jimmy Baldon played a great game for us tonight, we’ve got to get the ball in his hands. He’s the guy that’s going to be our offensive threat this year.”
Coach Price said that quarterback Bryce Collins did a good job of managing the game and that he was trying to get Collins comfortable in a high school situation. Price said “hopefully we’ll move the football with our running game and that will open up our passing game.”
Looking forward to the Water Valley game, Price said that Water Valley would be very athletic and have a lot of team speed especially at the skill positions. Price said the quarterback was an Arkansas State signee and was very talented. Kickoff for Friday’s game is at 7:00.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball