Slow down for safety
School starts next Monday in both the New Albany and Union County schools and it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving.
Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed is 25. And increasingly, we see drivers who are texting while driving, an unsafe practice at any speed.
Speeding is a particular problem on roads bordering our Union County Schools and also on Highway 15 near New Albany High School. The modernization of Highway 15 has added to the speeding problems on the highway.
Fortunately, the New Albany elementary and middle schools are located in areas where speeding immediately adjacent to the school is not much of a problem.
We would hope that a strong speed enforcement program will be undertaken, not only near our schools, but also in residential subdivision areas, to get everyone slowed down before we have a fatal accident.
Inexperience also is an issue as we will have lots of teenage drivers, many driving to school for the first time. We all need to do our part to help prevent accidents.
At this time of year, we also need a reminder about stopped school buses. It is unlawful to pass a stopped school bus from either direction while the bus has its red lights flashing. This is a particular problem in rural areas where children often have to cross a busy highway after getting off the bus.
All of us have a role in making sure our children have a safe year on their way to and from school.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...