Approve pool study
For three years in this space we’ve been suggesting that New Albany conduct a feasibility study on the cost and benefits of a public swimming pool.
Despite what we think is strong community support for a pool, we are no closer today to getting our children and our grandchildren a place to learn to swim and our families a wholesome spot for summer recreation.
The question is not whether we need a pool; that is clear to most everyone. Our small spray park is crowded with young children. The issue is whether the community can afford a year-round facility rather than a seasonal outdoor pool.
The board has approved issuing $1.25 million in bonds to pay for the expansion of BNA Bank Park on the north side of U.S. 78 (Interstate 22).
As we understand it, that will provide enough money to light at least one of the new soccer fields, and improve and light the parking lot next to the tennis courts.
Other projects at the complex also need to be completed. But none, in our mind, should delay moving ahead with a feasibility study for a pool.
Enough land is available to put the pool near the new soccer fields, well away from any of the flooding issues that exist near the current spray park.
We support teaching all children to swim as part of a public school curriculum. We need a public pool to do that.
We have tip-toed around the public pool issue for three years. It’s time for the Board of Aldermen to move ahead with a feasibility study.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...