Jets Defeat Thunder in Cotton States Softball
by Dennis Clayton
The Northeast Mississippi Jets used a huge eight run second to hand the Tupelo Thunder their first league loss in their 13-10 victory. The Jets sent 12 batters to the plate during the second inning scoring outburst as they collected six hits to take a 12- 2 lead after two innings.
The Thunder took an early 2-0 lead in the top half of the first as leadoff batter Bailey Oswalt of Amory and number three hitter, Callie Frazier of East Union scored. The Jets scored four runs in the bottom half of the first and had bases loaded when a strikeout ended the inning.
The Jets benefitted greatly from borrowed player Brittany Taylor (West Union) of the Bobcats as she went 3-4 and scored four runs. Also scoring multiple runs for the Jets were Jona Nicholson, Reagan Aldridge, and Kate Clark with two apiece. Oswalt and Frazier scored two runs apiece to lead the Thunder.
A late inning rally for the Thunder fell three runs short as they plated six runs in the top of the seventh, sending ten batters to the plate. Lauren Koon, Keely Chunn, and Quinlan Amos were other Union County players to score for the Thunder. Frazier struck out six for the Thunder.
Bobcats 10, Chicks 1
The Bay Springs Bobcats defeated the Pickwick Chicks in the second game of the day on Sunday 10-1. Jesslyn Brewer (West Union) led the Bobcats as she reached and scored in every at-bat, scoring four runs. Brewer singled, walked twice and was hit-by-pitch for the day’s efforts.
Brittany Taylor took the win for the Bobcats as she allowed one run, three hits, three walks and struck out eight. Taylor also had two hits and scored a run. Bailey Bogue (West Union) had a double for the Chicks.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2