Supervisors approve $2 increase on residential garbage rates
Beginning next year, residential and commercial garbage rates will be increasing for Union County residents.
The Union County Board of Supervisors approved a proposal Monday to raise residential rates by $2, effective Jan. 1, 2014.
The board began discussing the idea of raising garbage rates at the end of May
Board members cited the continual increase in fuel and equipment costs, as only two of the reasons for the decision to raise rates.
Members also said that the garbage fee has not been increased for county residents in a number of years.
A legal notice announcing the rate increase was published in the New Albany Gazette three times before the board voted on the issue.
The board said that residents affected by the increase will receive a notice in the mail along with their bill, so they will be aware of the new charges.
Commercial rates for garbage pick-up will increase also, but the rates are contingent on the amount of dumpsters on the property.
For a 4-yard dumpster, prices will increase to $10 for one pickup per week, $23 for two pickups and $33 for three pickups.
For a 6-yard dumpster, prices will increase to $15 for one pickup, $29 for two pickups and $40 for three pickups.
New extra dump fees will be $6.50 for a 4-yard dumpster and $7 for a 6-yard dumpster.
Ten dollars will be deducted on dumpsters for county residents who use dumpsters for their residential pickup also.
The next board meeting will be held at 10 a.m. on July 22, 2013 in the Union County Chancery Boardroom. The public is invited to attend.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6