By Dennis Clayton
Monday and Tuesday a sports camp was held for students with special needs with coaches from the athletic department leading the students through drills pertaining to the various sports. Monday was the day for football and soccer. Students worked through agility drills with the football coaches and worked on developing ball-handling skills with soccer coaches. Monday’s events were held at the football field on campus.
Tuesday would be the day for baseball and softball with these events being held at BNA Bank Park. Students would work on skills and drills associated with these sports with coaches from the baseball and softball programs.
Summer Sanderson is the camp director and originator and she spoke about the camp and its emphasis on sports. “We have Camp Smiles every year that is for kids from three to eighteen and it is for kids with special needs or disabilities. This year we were talking about things that these kids don’t normally do or get to do, so we thought about a sports camp. So I asked Dad (New Albany AD Shane Sanderson) if he could help us out.
We’ve got soccer and football going on tonight (Monday) and baseball and softball Tuesday to try to get the kids ready for Frog-A-Nanny, that was rained out earlier this year. This is kind of like a practice for them.”
“We’ve got about twenty kids out here right now and we’ve got brothers and sisters and even parents out here. It’s getting everybody in some families involved with what is happening. It is also a safe environment for those who do leave their kids and they can trust that the kids will be taken care of here,” Summer added.
Summer said “This is the fourth year for Camp Smiles, but this is the first year for the sports camp branch-off. We hope to continue to do the sports camp with Camp Smiles every year. We need campers and buddies.”
Summer closed by saying “we want to say thank you to all the coaches at New Albany High School for helping out.”
If you have a special needs child or know of a special needs child, this would be a great opportunity for them.
New Albany holds sports camp for special needs students
About New Albany Gazette
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball