By Dennis Clayton
Monday and Tuesday a sports camp was held for students with special needs with coaches from the athletic department leading the students through drills pertaining to the various sports. Monday was the day for football and soccer. Students worked through agility drills with the football coaches and worked on developing ball-handling skills with soccer coaches. Monday’s events were held at the football field on campus.
Tuesday would be the day for baseball and softball with these events being held at BNA Bank Park. Students would work on skills and drills associated with these sports with coaches from the baseball and softball programs.
Summer Sanderson is the camp director and originator and she spoke about the camp and its emphasis on sports. “We have Camp Smiles every year that is for kids from three to eighteen and it is for kids with special needs or disabilities. This year we were talking about things that these kids don’t normally do or get to do, so we thought about a sports camp. So I asked Dad (New Albany AD Shane Sanderson) if he could help us out.
We’ve got soccer and football going on tonight (Monday) and baseball and softball Tuesday to try to get the kids ready for Frog-A-Nanny, that was rained out earlier this year. This is kind of like a practice for them.”
“We’ve got about twenty kids out here right now and we’ve got brothers and sisters and even parents out here. It’s getting everybody in some families involved with what is happening. It is also a safe environment for those who do leave their kids and they can trust that the kids will be taken care of here,” Summer added.
Summer said “This is the fourth year for Camp Smiles, but this is the first year for the sports camp branch-off. We hope to continue to do the sports camp with Camp Smiles every year. We need campers and buddies.”
Summer closed by saying “we want to say thank you to all the coaches at New Albany High School for helping out.”
If you have a special needs child or know of a special needs child, this would be a great opportunity for them.
New Albany holds sports camp for special needs students
About New Albany Gazette
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...
"Luncheon with Books athletic banquet 2014 Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers east union East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights high school football Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball New Albany Volleyball Union County West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball