University tuition up
Parents of college students in Mississippi will feel more pinch this fall as the state’s universities increase in-state tuition by an average of more than 6 percent.
Costs will go up even more at the state’s two major universities. Mississippi State tuition for two semesters will be $6,772, up 8.1 percent, and the University of Mississippi will be $6,760, up 7.6 per cent. The totals include a $50 a semester “facilities charge” approved last November for both schools.
Not included are the costs of room, board and books. Students from out of state pay dramatically more.
The increases were expected because the amount of money appropriated by the state has failed to keep up with the significantly higher number of Mississippi students entering the state’s colleges.
According to the Associated Press, in-state tuition has gone up 57 percent since the fall of 2004, but the household income of Mississippians has remained about flat.
It’s obviously a no-win situation for students and their parents.
Hank Bounds, state higher education commissioner, said he hopes state revenues increase and legislators will provide more money next year to reduce tuition increases.
Don’t bet on it.
So far we have seen little commitment from the governor, lieutenant governor and many of our lawmakers to public education at any level.
Without more commitment, tuition – and student and parental debt to pay for it – will continue to rise faster than family incomes.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...