By Susan Hooker, 419-5842
It’s magnolia time in Mississippi. Also the fragrance of the gardenias adds to the mixture on a breezy, summer day. Local produce stands are advertising squash, tomatoes, and strawberries. Plums, blackberries, and blueberries are also being shared by neighbors. All of the rain this past spring has the farming in Mud Creek Bottom behind schedule.
The VBS program at Shady Grove Baptist Church was presented by the youths on Sunday evening, June 23. Bro. David Barnett is pastor. The slide presentation of the week’s activities was enjoyed by the congregation.
Get-well wishes to Bobbie Hale, Aron Hale, Pete Stepp, Kim Gilliam, and to Jay Garrett.
Birthday wishes to Margaret Hale, Glenda Hale, Katie Stutto, and Bob Poe.
The floral arrangement of hydrangeas in the sanctuary of Hurricane Baptist on Sunday, June 23, was in memory of Shorty Graham, Sudiebet Graham and Sis Norwood and was presented by Susan Hooker and Freida Browning.
BJ and Nicky Moore attended the Pontotoc County Chamber of Commerce and the Main Street Association annual awards banquet as Nicky is a representative for the PEPA Board of Directors.
Congratulations to the Pontotoc Red Sox 9UAA USSA State Champions as the team won the tournament in Oxford. Those with ties to the community are as follows: Colton Moore, the son of Paul and Christa Moore; Jaylen Wise, the son of Josh and Shanna Wise; and Jackson Wise, the son of Jeremy and Hillery Wise.
Congratulations to Kacie Daniels, Josh Dowdy, Cheyenne Akers, and to Michelle Graham as they received their A.A. degrees from ICC.
Hayden Cummings, the son of Becky and Scott Cummings, played in the ALL STAR baseball games for the NEMBCA in Booneville and the MHSAA in Jackson, Hayden played for the Pontotoc Warriors and has received a scholarship to play baseball at NEMCC this fall. He is the grandson of Glen and Cheryl Montgomery Sullivan who reside on Hwy. 346.
Congratulations to Colton Poe and to Hillary Brookins as they were married in Pontotoc on June 15. The Poes enjoyed a wedding trip to Jamaica and now are at home on Hwy. 346 in Hurricane.
Jack and June Warren, Bob and Michelle Poe, Brian, Kim, Jaden, and Kagen Ezell, Jamie Spillers and Jackson Warren attended the Vance Family Reunion in Edwards on June 22. This was hosted by Jack’s sisters as follows: Nancy Leach, Marilyn Banks, Martha Gunner, and Judy Woolridge.
Anniversary milestones for the last week of June are as follows: Dewitt and Verline Stepp, 60; Jim and Pam Lessell, 40; and Ronnie and LaWanda Hale, 39.
Graden Hooker, Colt Hooker, Aric Graham, and Greg Graham enjoyed a fishing trip on the Tennessee River on Saturday.
Cade, Megan, Sophie, Aden, Ella Kate, and Maggie Hooker enjoyed camping at Sardis Dam. Braxton and I joined the group on Saturday. The group attended the softball games at Batesville, and Maggie and I returned home due to the heat.
Jessica Court, the bride-elect of Landon Kidd, was given a bridal shower at Fredonia Baptist Church on Sunday, June 23. Landon is the son of Jimmy and Lesa McCarver Kidd.
Congratulations to retired Coach Robby Bogue of NPAC as he was inducted into the NEMBCA Hall of Fame in Booneville for boys basketball. Others inducted there with ties to the county were Coach Shorty Turner of Houlka and NPAC and Coach Lanny Gooch of Houston.
Brittany McGee, the granddaughter of Margie Warren and of the late Moose Warren of Sand Springs, is a 2013 graduate of NPAC. Brittany has received a scholarship to ICC. Her parents are Danny and Michelle W. McGee.
AHS Construction hosted a fish fry for the company picnic at the home of owners, Adam, Brandie, and Cohen Stubblefield, on Friendship Road in Buchanan. The group caught the catfish from their lake. Also attending were Betty and Steve Stubblefield and Debbie Raby.
The Warren-Graham will be held on July 20 at the First Methodist Church in the Heritage Hall in DeLeon, Texas. The building will open at 10:00 a.m. for the traditional covered-dish luncheon to be served at 12:30 p.m. There will be a business meeting at noon. Contact Gerald and Bernice Warren of DeLeon or Kenneth Welch of Gorman for information.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Buddy McGee of Pontotoc who was the husband of Jean Gooch McGee. Mr. Buddy was the brother-in-law of Margaret G. Hale of Hurricane. The McGees’ sons, Lynn, Bob, and Tom, were the same ages as their Hale cousins, Donna, Betty, and Lisa.
By Susan Hooker, 419-5842
About New Albany Gazette
- All in a week’s work October 6, 2015
- Lady Urchins sweep and finish perfect in division October 8, 2015
- Urchins travel to Mantachie for key division contest October 8, 2015
- Master Gardener Pat James becomes pumpkin man October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- Union County cross country results October 10, 2015
- Big plays sink the Urchins October 10, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs route Byhalia for first division win October 10, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on