Myrtle coach Orman to lead Ripley’s girls
Ripley High School has chosen Cliff Ormon to be their next girls basketball coach. Ripley principal Jeff Palmer confirmed the hiring Thursday afternoon. The move must be approved by the South Tippah School Board.
Ormon returns to Tippah County where he coached the Pine Grove Lady Panthers for eight seasons (2004-12) before spending the last year as varsity boys and girls coach at Myrtle. Ormon replaces Katie Bates, who is now at Pine Grove.
“Coach Ormon has proven himself as a quality head coach, and we felt like he was the best choice to keep this program going in the right direction,” said Palmer.
Ormon takes over a Lady Tiger program fresh off four consecutive trips to the MHSAA State Tournament and two years removed from a Class 3A state title. They return a nucleus of players that helped post a 30-win season in 2012-13, as the school transitions to Class 4A.
Bates, the 2013 Daily Journal Coach of the Year, posted a 142-49 record and won three North Half titles in six seasons.
“We have a lot of the same philosophies. We’re aggressive and we want our teams to play hard tough basketball,” said Ormon. “For the last four years, this program would rival any program in the state and we’re going to try and continue on that same path.”
Ormon guided the Pine Grove Lady Panthers to two Division 1-1A titles (2008, 2009) with the team’s first trip to the state tourney in 2008 . The 1997 Hickory Flat graduate and Mississippi State alum began his coaching career at Weir High School in 2003.
Kedrick Storey, Southern Sentinel
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...