Supporting the CSBL
The Cotton States Baseball League is back again this summer, and like in previous years, several talented athletes from Union County will take part in the summer wooden bat league, preparing to play in college.
Eight athletes from the county will play this year: Easton Hall, Mason Maxey, Drew Wray, Alex Boland, Tyler Dowdy, Trey Barkley, Hunter McCreight and Brandon Montgomery. Also, New Albany assistant baseball coach Buddy Hall will be over one of the teams, the Tupelo Thunder.
This league has seen tremendous growth over the years, and that is evident even more so this year in the fact that a sixth team has been added to the league, the Hill Country Generals. Also, the CSBL has been known to bring in talented athletes from numerous colleges, including Ole Miss and Mississippi State.
To go along with this, the high school and junior high leagues will start up again soon, and that is, by far, the most successful part of this organization. Hundreds of baseball players from North Mississippi come to New Albany to participate in this league, which carries into the fall, for those who can play.
An exciting addition will also start up this summer. New Albany softball coach Tom Zahller, along with the primary organizers of Cotton States, will start a softball league for high school athletes.
The league will play its first part during July and, like the high school and junior high leagues, will have a fall portion, but softball’s will take place from September to November, I’m sure to accommodate those who play slow pitch in the fall.
Cotton States and Mississippi Select have done a great job promoting these sports and giving an opportunity to allow athletes to grow through their league. I look forward to watching some of each league this summer.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer