Improving city water
New Albany has taken another major step toward improving its water system.
New Albany Light, Gas & Water has been approved for a federal grant of $1.3 million to help pay for new water lines along much of North Street, as well as add a water tank, booster pump station and two new wells to its system.
The money will go along with a $1.7 million 30-year federal loan for the project. The city also is awaiting word on a $650,000 community development block grant needed for the North Street project.
The utility plans to replace a nearly 80-year-old water main along North Street, as well as a section of Broad Street, that affects the water quality of about 70 households in the area.
One of the wells will be dug in BNA Bank Park and the other east of the city limits near an existing well, according to Bill Mattox, manager of the utility. The booster pump will be added on Denmill Road near the post office.
Work is likely to start on the North Street project by September. Work on the wells and mumping station will begin soon, he said.
Since Mattox was brought on board to run the city utility, significant strides have been made in trying to deal with the city’s longstanding water issues – a source of frequent complaints from city residents.
We think Mattox and the utility continue to take progressive steps important to the city’s future.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...