Aldermen set rules for wine, spirits sales
The sale of liquors and wine of more than five percent of alcohol by weight will become legal in the city of New Albany on June 6.
On Tuesday, the New Albany Board of Aldermen unanimously approved a proposed ordinance that will govern its sale, distribution and possession within the city limits.
City attorney Reagan Russell told the board it did not necessarily have to become effective 30 days after passage, but that it could not become effective any sooner.
Alderman At-Large Scott Dunnam proposed June 6 as the date it goes into effect, 31 days after its adoption. The board adopted it shortly after holding a public hearing on the issue, seeking comment from citizens. No comments were raised, so the board subsequently cast its vote.
According to the newly-adopted ordinance, the sale of alcohol would be allowed by the bottle in package stores, as well as by the drink in restaurants, hotels and other such establishments that are licensed by the state.
Russell said that state law regulates the hours during which wine and liquor can be sold. State law allows the sale for package stores from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Saturday, with an extension to 1 a.m. on New Year’s Eve.
By-the-drink sales are allowed from 10 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Saturday, with a New Year’s Eve extension as well.
The proposal further follows state law in forbidding sales on Sundays or Christmas. An exception is made for by-the-drink sales on New Year’s Eve, which would be permitted from 1 p.m. to 1 a.m., in accordance with state law.
According to the proposal, possession of wine and spirits are forbidden on most public property, including schools, libraries, museums, playgrounds and parks.
Also, package stores, restaurants or other businesses selling wine and liquor are not permitted to be located within 400 feet of a church or funeral home, or within 100 feet in a commercially-zoned area.
Much of the ordinance is simply a reference to state guidelines that govern liquor and wine sales.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...