Myrtle falls to Fighting Irish
The Hawks’ season came to an end on Monday, as Greenville St. Joe earned a sweep in the series after a 6-4 win at Myrtle.
St. Joe took game one 11-1 last week, but Myrtle came out strong scoring the game’s first two runs in the opening inning on RBI hits from Zack Perkins and Austin Floyd, making it 2-0.
An error in the Myrtle outfield along with an RBI double by Raines Rester tied the game at two in the top of the third, but Myrtle again went in front in the fourth inning, 4-2.
In the fourth, Myrtle loaded the bases for Anthony Lipsey with one out, and the eighth grader drove in the go-ahead run. Perkins brought in one more run, giving Myrtle the 4-2 advantage.
The top of the fifth saw eight St. Joe batters at the plate, and the Fighting Irish had three runs in three straight hits to take the lead, 5-4. The three consecutive hits came from Hunter McGaugh and Reifers to tie the game, and the go-ahead run was brought in by Terry Bailey. St. Joe added an insurance run in the seventh inning, as Jacob Reifers had a sacrifice fly out to center, scoring a run.
Myrtle would place runners on second and third in the bottom of the seventh before back-to-back strikeouts ended the game.
Floyd had two hits to lead the Myrtle offense. Rester and Bailey each had two hits to lead St. Joe in the win.
With the win, the Irish move on to face Smithville in the north half semifinals this weekend.
About Chris Elkins
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...