East Union sweeps Potts Camp, advances to second round
East Union advanced out of this weekend’s opening round of the 2A north half playoffs with a sweep of Potts Camp.
After defeating the Cardinals, 9-3, on the road Thursday, the Urchins swept the series with an 11-1 win in six innings at home on Friday night.
“Potts Camp is a tremendous ball club, and they have three kids who could play for anyone,” East Union head coach Chris Basil said. “I thought our kids responded well and swung the bats, doing what they needed to do to be successful.”
Potts Camp had an opportunity to do damage in the second inning, loading the bases with no outs for Wesley Brown. Senior pitcher Cody Bo Dillard proceeded to strikeout the next three batters to get out of the inning.
“It seems like in every game, we have one of those innings, and Cody Bo always comes out and does what he has to do to get us through that inning,” Basil said. “He’s a tremendous competitor, and things like that, pressure, doesn’t bother him.”
In the Urchins’ half of the second, bases were loaded with one out, and Austin Basil was walked to bring in the game’s first run. A Cardinal error and an RBI single from Trey Barkley made it 4-0, preceding a two-run home run by Dustin Pratt. The final run of the frame came off of an RBI single by Tray Davis, giving the Urchins a 7-0 lead.
Potts Camp scored its lone run in the fifth, loading the bases for Joshua Bonds, who brought in the run. The Urchins added four runs in the bottom of the sixth to advance to the second round.
Dillard led the Urchins’ offense with three hits, while Barkley, Davis and Jacob Elder each had two hits.
Next for the Urchins is a second round match up with Riverside, the division winner from Region 4-2A.
“Personally, I think they’re one of the best 2A teams around, and like us, they didn’t lose anyone from last year,” Basil said of Riverside. “He has a pitcher he didn’t have last year, a tremendous left-hander that has signed division one baseball, so we have our work cut out for us. They have a tremendous baseball team.”
The second round is scheduled next Thursday-Saturday, May 2-4.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...