Carter project eyes June finish
Motorists travelling in and out of downtown New Albany should expect at least one more month of traffic congestion along Carter Avenue.
New Albany Mayor Tim Kent said the current project, which has left nearly one half of the road blocked off and narrowed the flow of traffic, is expected to be done in June.
“We’re installing a new culvert to deal with possible heavy rains and floods,” Kent said. “Crews have been working on the west side of Carter Avenue for about a month now and have now moved to the south side.”
Kent said the city board of aldermen applied for federal aid to help fund the project nearly three years ago and only recently received the go-ahead to start work.
“As part of the grant, the city will pay 20 percent of the cost, while the federal government will pay 80 percent,” Kent said.
The city sought the grant to aid with the project after receiving word from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency that a majority of Carter Avenue lies in a flood zone. That information was confirmed in May 2010 when the area was flooded following a strong weather system that moved through the state.
“The culvert will help alleviate some of the flooding that we could face if the river overflows like it did then,” Kent said.
Cook Coggins is the engineering firm in charge of the project.
Work crews have placed cones to help with traffic flow until the project is complete.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...