Lady Eagles Take Possession of Division Lead
Myrtle and West Union entered Monday’s clash between county rivals unbeaten in division play. Naturally someone had to take sole possession of first and on this night it belonged to the Lady Eagles to claim it. Coach Lisa Bogue of West Union said, “It’s a huge win, both of us came into today undefeated in division so we knew this was going to be a big game for both teams. We were able to come out hitting today and hopefully we will be able to continue that tomorrow, because we have to play them again tomorrow at Myrtle.”
The Lady Eagles batted around in the bottom of the second inning and coasted to the win. Coach Bogue said of the big inning “they just all got it into their heads that they were not going to stop, but they were going to keep going and everyone seemed to go back to back to back and batted around that inning.”
Callie Baggett led off the inning with a walk and later scored, as singles by Jesslyn Brewer and Brittany Taylor put base runners on. Julianna Garner drove in two runs with her double. Gina Beth Conlee, and Bailey Bogue both singled and later scored. Hannah McQuary singled and drove in a couple of runs to complete the inning.
Myrtle would score two runs in the third as Keely Chunn singled and was followed by Emily Cook’s single and an error in the outfield allowed Chunn to score and Cook to advance to third. Allie Bishop singled and drove home Cook for the second run.
Brittany Taylor turned in a great performance on the mound, striking out seven, no walks, and gave up three runs on ten hits. Coach Bogue said Taylor “did an awesome job on the mound, she continues to hit her spots and get her defense out of big jams.” The biggest jam came in the top of the fourth with West Union holding a 5-2 lead. Myrtle had consecutive singles and loaded the bases. Taylor fielded a come-backer to the mound and fired it home to retire the first out. The next batter popped up to catcher Bailey Bogue and Taylor ended the threat with a strikeout.
In the bottom of the fourth, West Union added two more runs as Taylor singled and later advanced to third on a throwing error. Bailey Bogue singled and drove in Taylor. Hannah McQuary followed Bogue with an RBI triple to extend the lead to 7-2.
Callie Baggett got another big inning started in the fifth after she was hit by a pitch and stole second. Jodie McMillen singled and the Lady Eagles had runners at the corners. Brewer singled and drove in Baggett. Gina Beth Conlee would single and drive in Brewer and Bogue later singled and drove in Garner to put the Lady Eagles up 10-2 after five complete.
Myrtle added a run in the top of the seventh as Chunn singled and stole second and third. Bishop singled to post her second RBI of the contest. Audrey Kent had five strikeouts of the Lady Eagles in her pitching performance. It was the first loss of the year for Kent who is now 11-1 on the season. The teams face each other at Myrtle on Tuesday at 5:00 to determine the division champion.
Offensive leaders for West Union were Bailey Bogue and Hannah McQuary as they batted three for four on the night. Gina Beth Conlee, Jesslyn Brewer, and Brittany Taylor all collected two hits apiece.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...