Choosing city leaders
The upcoming city primary election promises to be an important one with lively contests for mayor and chief of police as well as races in three of the five aldermen spots.
All of the city elections except Alderman, Ward Four, will be decided in the Democratic primary on May 7 or the runoff election May 21.
In the mayor’s race, Tim Kent, a two-term incumbent, is being opposed by retired businessman Bill Robertson in the Democratic primary. The race for police chief, where long-time Chief David Grisham is not seeking re-election, is between Mark Golding and Chris Robertson. There are no Republican candidates.
Two incumbent aldermen are unopposed: Johnny Anderson in Ward Two and Scott Dunnam, the alderman at large.
In Ward Three, five candidates are vying for the seat left open by the retirement of Tommie Beasley: Chris Buford, Larry Dykes, Gayle Gibson, Jimmy Jackson and Kevin Dale White. The winner likely will be decided in a runoff May 21.
In Ward One, incumbent Jeff Olson is opposed by Daniel Frain. There is no Republican candidate.
Ward Four has primaries in both parties. Terry Medlin and Samantha Morris are Democrats. Incumbent Will Tucker and Rick Lindley are Republicans. The two winners will meet in the June 4 general election.
We expect most voters will vote in the Democratic primary because of the mayor and police chief contests. The city clerk’s office will be open from 8 a.m. until noon on two Saturdays, April 27 and May 4, in addition to regular weekday office hours for absentee voting.
We urge registered voters in New Albany and other towns to vote May 7.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...