Billy Wayne Botts, 76, of Palmetto, died Tuesday, March 19, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after a lengthy illness.
He was born Aug. 11, 1936, in Union County to William Hollis and Maudie Lee Carter Botts. He was raised in the Jugfork community and was a 1956 graduate of Cedar Hill High School. A veteran, he served in the Air Force from 1956 to 1960. For more than 44 years he resided in the Palmetto community. He enjoyed fishing and was an avid NASCAR fan. One of the joys in his life was spending time with his grandchildren. He retired after 40 1/2 years from Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent Technologies. He was an active member of Palmetto Baptist Church, where he served as deacon. He was always involved in various maintenance projects and church repairs.
Services were at 2 p.m. Thursday, March 21, at The Jefferson Street chapel of W.E. Pegues with Dr. Robert Armstrong and Dr. Adrian Horne officiating. Burial was in Lee Memorial Park.
Survivors include his wife of almost 50 years, Lillian Hortense Sullivan Botts of the Palmetto community; one daughter, Sandy Owen (Tony) of the Palmetto community; one son, Steve Botts (Carol) of the Palmetto community; three grandchildren, Steven Oven, Carly and Jon Botts; two sisters, Bonnie Malone of Ellistown and Faye Wade (Joe) of Tupelo; and one brother, Charles Botts of Ecru.
He was preceded in death by his parents; one brother, James Neal Botts; and one grandson, David Michael Owen.
Pallbearers were Benny Waycaster, David Cochran, Dennis Garner, Excell Cowley, Billy Flurry and David Oswalt.
Honorary pallbearers were Don Christian, Gary Singh and all the past and current employees of Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent Technologies who worked with him.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
Expressions of sympathy may be left at www.peguesfuneralhome.com.
About New Albany Gazette
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 5, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...