Billy Wayne Botts, 76, of Palmetto, died Tuesday, March 19, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after a lengthy illness.
He was born Aug. 11, 1936, in Union County to William Hollis and Maudie Lee Carter Botts. He was raised in the Jugfork community and was a 1956 graduate of Cedar Hill High School. A veteran, he served in the Air Force from 1956 to 1960. For more than 44 years he resided in the Palmetto community. He enjoyed fishing and was an avid NASCAR fan. One of the joys in his life was spending time with his grandchildren. He retired after 40 1/2 years from Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent Technologies. He was an active member of Palmetto Baptist Church, where he served as deacon. He was always involved in various maintenance projects and church repairs.
Services were at 2 p.m. Thursday, March 21, at The Jefferson Street chapel of W.E. Pegues with Dr. Robert Armstrong and Dr. Adrian Horne officiating. Burial was in Lee Memorial Park.
Survivors include his wife of almost 50 years, Lillian Hortense Sullivan Botts of the Palmetto community; one daughter, Sandy Owen (Tony) of the Palmetto community; one son, Steve Botts (Carol) of the Palmetto community; three grandchildren, Steven Oven, Carly and Jon Botts; two sisters, Bonnie Malone of Ellistown and Faye Wade (Joe) of Tupelo; and one brother, Charles Botts of Ecru.
He was preceded in death by his parents; one brother, James Neal Botts; and one grandson, David Michael Owen.
Pallbearers were Benny Waycaster, David Cochran, Dennis Garner, Excell Cowley, Billy Flurry and David Oswalt.
Honorary pallbearers were Don Christian, Gary Singh and all the past and current employees of Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent Technologies who worked with him.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
Expressions of sympathy may be left at www.peguesfuneralhome.com.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...