Protecting the hens
It’s a case of putting a fox in the henhouse.
Pardon us for starting with a trite expression, but it fits the situation perfectly. Monday House Speaker Phillip Gunn, a Republican from Clinton announced he is appointing Joel Bomgar to the state Board of Education.
What’s wrong with that, you ask? Plenty. Bomgar of Ridgeland is head of Better Education for Mississippi, a group of Republican business leaders pushing for more charter schools.
Bomgar has no experience with public schools, not even as a student. He was home-schooled.
Bomgar, 33, heads Bomgar Corp., which offers computer support to companies, governments and universities. He and his company gave $10,000 to Republican candidates, mostly for the state House of Representatives, in the 2011 state election, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics.
Perhaps Bomgar would make a good choice for the proposed new board to authorize and oversee charter schools, if the legislation is approved creating it. But, in our opinion, he is a poor choice for helping lead our public school system.
We think a state Board of Education member should be a champion of our public schools and of pushing for money to improve them.
He or she should be relentless in opposition to Republican-led attempts to dilute our public schools with competing charter schools, private schools and home schools.
Bomgar is not that person.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2