NAES continues to improve Coordinated School Health initiative
Improving the overall health of students is more than just an idea at New Albany Elementary School (NAES). It is a concept that is continually practiced and improved upon within the school community. NAES began to fully implement the eight components of Coordinated School Health (CSH) more than five years ago. The eight components include: Healthy School Environment; Nutrition Services; Health Education; Health Services; Physical Education; Staff Wellness; Family and Community Involvement; and Counseling Services.
“Over the past five years, our school and school district have been fortunate to receive grants to improve our Coordinated School Health Program – especially physical education, health education, and nutrition,” said Tammie Reeder, Health Services Coordinator for New Albany Schools. Reeder further explained that the “buy-in” from both the school staff and the community has been amazing.
NAES has continued to find ways each year to expand and improve their CSH program. This year, with support from teachers and parents, NAES has focused on creating healthier classroom parties and snacks, as well as a healthier reward system for students in the younger grades.
Reeder said she was impressed with the healthy classroom parties that were planned by parent volunteers and teachers during the recent Valentine’s parties. Many of the party snacks limited the amount of sweets and sugar and included healthy snacks such as pretzels, trail mix, yogurt, fruit, cheese, and bottled water. Some teachers planned their parties around mealtime and had a well-balanced healthy meal while focusing on manners and mealtime etiquette.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...