Friday last day to qualify for city elections
By J. Lynn West
Friday at 5 p.m. is the deadline to qualify as a candidate for municipal elections in New Albany and other Union County area towns.
The only two incumbents still unopposed are Ward Two Alderman Johnny Anderson and Alderman-at-Large Scott Dunnam. Ward Three has received several candidates, possibly because incumbent Tommie Beasley is not seeking re-election. He is the only incumbent not running again other than Police Chief David Grisham. Two police officers are seeking that job.
No new New Albany candidates had been added in the past week.
Candidates in Blue Springs, Myrtle and Sherman don’t face the same deadlines as New Albany since candidates run as independents, meaning there will be no primary and their first and only vote will not come until the June 4 general elections. Because of their smaller population, each of the three has five at-large aldermen and a mayor, rather than ward representatives.
Incumbents for Blue Springs are Mayor, David Boland; and Aldermen Rita Gentry, Jerry Nunnelee, Sandra Boland,
The primary will be Tuesday, May 7, and a runoff, if needed, will be Tuesday, May 21. The general election is Tuesday, June 4 and winners will take office July 1.
Since the purpose of the primary is to select party nominees for the June general election, voters will have to choose whether to vote on an all-Democratic or all-Republican ballot. They will be able to vote on any combination of Republican and Democratic candidates in the June election, however.
Candidate list for New Albany:
Tim Kent (incumbent) (D)
Bill Robertson (D)
Chief of Police –
Mark Golding (D)
Chris Robertson (D)
Ward 1 Alderman –
Daniel Frain (D)
Jeff Olson (incumbent) (R)
Ward 2 Alderman –
Johnny Anderson (incumbent) (D)
Ward 3 Alderman –
Chris Buford (D)
Larry Dykes (D)
Jimmy Lewis Jackson (D)
Kevin Dale White (D)
Ward 4 Alderman –
Rick Lindley (R)
Terry Medlin (D)
Samantha Morris (D)
Will Tucker (Incumbent) (R)
Scott Dunnam (Incumbent) (D)
Blue Springs – Jan Musgrove – 871-5111
Myrtle – Marie White – 988-2220
Sherman – Connie Allen – 840-9185
Incumbents for Blue Springs are Mayor, David Boland; and Aldermen Rita Gentry, Jerry Nunnelee, Sandra Boland, Leanna Hollis and Shirley Allen (all Independent).
Incumbents for Myrtle are Mayor, Joe M. Rials; and Aldermen Joseph Graham, Carolyn McCuiston, Jeanette Thomas, Fleurette Ausburn and David Brown (all Independent). The only candidate who has qualified so far is Michael Canerdy for alderman. Joseph Graham has announced he is retiring after serving 30 years and the other incumbents have at least picked up their paperwork to qualify at the city hall.
Incumbents for Sherman are Mayor, Ben Logan; and Aldermen Ann Simmons, Martha Swindle, Wayne Bullock, Dianne Jolly and Todd McDonald (all Independent). Bullock is the only one who had qualified as of Tuesday. Jolly has said she plans to retire and not seek re-election but the other incumbents have at least picked up copies of the required qualifying paperwork.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...