East Union tops Eagles
East Union picked up its second win in a row on Monday night, defeating county rival West Union, 16-0, on the road.
After dropping three games last weekend, two against St. Paul Episcopal School out of Mobile, Ala., the Urchins took a 9-0 win over South Pontotoc at the Pontotoc Tournament on Saturday preceding Monday night’s win.
“Anytime you play a county rivalry, it’s big for our kids,” East Union head coach Chris Basil said. “We’ve been playing some good competition, and we needed a good win like this tonight.”
The Urchins opened the game with a six-run first inning, capped by a two-run triple by Cody Bo Dillard. Tyler Hutcheson also drove in a run off of a double later in the inning.
Austin Sanders extended that lead in the second, plating Austin Basil with his two-run home run. The Urchins would later score on extra base hits from Jacob Elder in the fourth and Basil and Sanders in the fifth inning.
Basil, Sanders and Trey Barkley each had two hits to lead East Union’s (3-4) offense. Meanwhile, Hutcheson allowed only one hit for the Eagles’ offense in the win.
East Union will next play in a double header on Saturday, traveling to Saltillo for a 1 p.m. contest, followed by a 5 p.m. game at home against Potts Camp.
West Union has road games at Vardaman on Friday and at Hickory Flat on Saturday.
Also from Monday night, Ingomar picked up an 11-0 road win at Walnut, capped by a grand slam from Tyler Dowdy, while Myrtle defeated Falkner, 7-6, led by a two-hit performance from both Taylor Hogue and Ben Ausburn. Myrtle was scheduled to play at Hickory Flat on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...