West Union downs Jumpertown
By Dennis Clayton
West Union’s seniors were in the spotlight on Senior Night, but the fourth quarter spotlight in the boys’ game belonged to an underclassman, Chase Cooper, as West Union defeated Jumpertown 67-62. The Eagles held a narrow 48-44 lead after three quarters and then Cooper took over.
West Union scored 19 points in the fourth and Cooper had 11 of those points. Coach Timbo Henderson said of Cooper, “He came off the bench and had a big fourth quarter and did a great job tonight. He filled in the zone and knocked down some big buckets. He hit a big 3-pointer and kept us in the ballgame in the fourth quarter.
The Eagles took the lead in the opening quarter by the score of 18-12 behind the inside-outside scoring punch of Chase Taylor and Tyler Wooley. Jumpertown battled back in the second quarter and the teams went to half with Jumpertown leading 30-29.
After the intermission, the Eagles used the three-pointer to regain the lead as they hit three during their 19 point third quarter and led 48-44. The Eagles then sealed the contest on the solid fourth quarter play and Cooper’s deadly shooting. Coach Henderson said “Anytime you can win a close one like that, it tells you something about your team and will do a lot for them in the upcoming games. This will maybe give you some confidence that in these tight games, we can execute and pull these games out. The game was closer than we wanted it to be, but we battled all game and we played through it and didn’t give up.”
West Union placed four players in double figures and were led by senior Chase Taylor’s 22 points, Tyler Wooley had 14, senior R.J. Coleman added 11 and Chase Cooper 11 points.
West Union won the girls contest 54-41 as the Lady Eagles bolted to a 30-16 lead by the half. Senior Hannah McQuary led the Lady Eagles in scoring with 13, Gracen Conlee had 12, and Samantha Bridges chipped in 10.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...