Lady Bulldogs wrap up divison title
The Lady Bulldogs are on a hot streak entering the playoffs and have won 13 of their last 14 games including an 81-34 win over Lewisburg on Monday.
Led by 28 points from Jazmine Spears, New Albany finished district play a perfect 5-0, wrapping up the Region 2-4A title and the number one seed in next week’s division tournament at North Pontotoc.
“We won the division, and we’ve come a long way from where we were at this point last year,” Lady Bulldogs coach John Stroud said. “We made a goal to be in first place, and I think we’re getting better as a team. Jalessa Davis had 21 points, and she’s that extra scorer we’ve been lacking, so I look forward to the playoffs.”
Davis scored 11 points in the first quarter, pacing New Albany early in game. Spears had nine points at the break, and scored 12 of the Lady Bulldogs’ 22 third quarter points.
Erin Michael Carter finished with 12 points for the Lady Bulldogs (18-5, 5-0), and the regular season came to a close on Tuesday for New Albany, playing at Tupelo in a game that Stroud uses to help his team prepare for the postseason.
“We always like to play Tupelo for the last game of the season and use that to help us get ready for the playoffs,” he said. “This is a 6A school with good athletes, and hopefully this will help us for what we’ll see in the playoffs. It will be a good challenge for us.”
New Albany 61 Lewisburg 57 (boys)
The Bulldogs wrapped up the two seed for next week’s division tournament after coming from behind to beat the Patriots.
Trailing by as many as eight in the fourth quarter, Tyrone Vance gave New Albany the lead at 54-52 with under two minutes remaining. Lewisburg’s last lead came on a basket by Alex Arnold, and Eric Chaney followed that to put the Bulldogs in front and eventually pick up the win.
“We didn’t shoot the ball well, and defensively, we didn’t put enough pressure on them in the first half especially,” Bulldogs coach Brad Gray said. “In the second half, we just found a way to beat them, and at this point in the year, I’ll take that any day.”
Chaney led the Bulldogs with 16 points, followed by Jarel Lipsey with 13 points.
Finishing at 4-1 in division play, the Bulldogs will be the two seed in the Region 2-4A tournament at North Pontotoc next week. Rosa Fort will be the top seed.
New Albany closed the regular season at Tupelo on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...