Cullins signs with Holmes CC softball
New Albany softball had its third player sign to play college ball on Tuesday, as Shaneka Cullins decided to continue her career at Holmes Community College.
“I’m very excited to get to go to Holmes and have a chance to continue playing,” she said. “I’ve played since a child and have always loved the sport.”
Cullins recorded 26 hits and 11 RBI as a junior for the Lady Bulldogs and has continued to progress for the program.
“It’s not often to have a late bloomer like her,” New Albany head coach Tom Zahller said. “She came on strong at the end of last season, and back in the fall, she’s progressed into a talent that had many asking where did she come from.”
Cullins cited the team and campus life were the main attractions for her in her decision to play at Holmes.
She also said she is excited to now focus on the upcoming season for New Albany now that the pressure of signing is out of the way.
“The softball girls are very nice, and I went there and enjoyed the campus,” Cullins said. “I’m hoping to have a good season this spring. I no longer have the stress of wondering if I’m going to sign or not.”
Zahller said that he has known Cullins’ potential and that Holmes has a great addition to its program.
“We realized a long time ago that she would be a special player,” he said.
“She went to Holmes and immediately knew that’s where she belongs. That’s the key with these girls signing. They need to find a home that will fit for them, and Holmes does for Shaneka.”
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer