Draining school aid
Mississippi appears headed down the road of diluting the money available for public education by approving legislation that allows competing “charter schools” to be created.
The Senate has passed a particularly heinous bill supported by anti-public school interests that would allow an unlimited number of charter schools to be created.
Only public school districts with A or B state performance ratings, such as New Albany and Union County, could veto them.
Under the Senate bill, these schools could be created by for-profit companies, which would drain public tax money off to private businesses from who knows where. Students could cross school district lines to attend these schools and your tax money would follow them out of your community.
The House has approved less objectionable plan that limits the number of charter schools to 15 per year and allows them only in districts rated D or F by the state. For-profit schools would be prohibited and your tax money could not flow beyond your school district.
Both bills create a new board and staff, separate from the state Department of Education, to administer the schools.
Analysts predict the board would cost several hundred thousand dollars a year.
We have said many times that our state cannot afford more schools and certainly doesn’t need another board. Both proposals cheat our public schools and their students.
But at least the House bill, if it were to become law, keeps the big-money anti-public education businesses out of our state.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...