Kiwanis prepares for annual Hotbed Classic
Boasting premier matchups for boys’ basketball in the area, this year’s installment of the Hotbed Classic features eight games and each of the Union County schools and New Albany.
West Union and Kossuth will open the day at 10 a.m., followed by East Union versus Marshall, Myrtle against North Pontotoc.
Booneville, last year’s runner up in 3A and currently the top team in that class, according to the Clarion Ledger, will take on Piney Woods out of 1A.
The Blue Devils are currently at 15-3, while the Tornadoes are 7-7 on the year. That matchup will take place at 2 p.m. and will be followed by Ingomar and Amory at 3:30.
The Falcons’ game against the Panthers will feature former Falcon standout Rob Browning coaching against his alma mater.
The number two team in the state, Provine, will face off against Briarcrest from Memphis at 5 p.m. At 17-4, Provine is also the number two team in class 5A, while Briarcrest is 19-4.
This year’s classic will end with New Albany taking on Desoto Central at 8 p.m. The Jaguars from 6A are 17-4 on the year, while the Bulldogs are 11-9, not including tonight’s game at Mooreville.
The New Albany Kiwanis Club sponsors the annual tournament, with the games taking place at Memorial Gym in New Albany.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...