Myrtle student injured by train
A train collision with a vehicle left a Myrtle High School student injured early Tuesday morning, just yards from the school.
Union County Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Benjamin Paist, 18, a student of Myrtle Attendance Center, was injured in the accident which occured at approximately 7:40 a.m. Tuesday.
According to Edwards, Paist was driving his white Isuzu Rodeo south on Graham Avenue and was driving through the railroad crossing when a Burlington Northern train hit the vehicle.
“We believe he’s going to be alright, but we don’t know for sure,” Edwards said.
The sheriff said it’s unknown whether or not Paist saw or heard the train crossing signal before attempting to pass through the intersection.
“I’m not sure if maybe the sun was in his eyes and he didn’t see the lights, or what,” Edwards said.
Edwards said that Paist was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center. Other witnesses said that he was responsive and breathing on his own when the helicopter was departing.
Paist is a senior at Myrtle Attendance Center. He is listed as a guard for the school’s basketball team. The school postponed Tuesday’s matchups with Coldwater after learning of the accident.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2