City seeks safety grant
The decision by the New Albany Board of Aldermen to seek federal money to help improve safety and walking and bike paths around city schools is a good one.
The city decided to apply for a grant from the national Safe Routes to Schools program, which is administered by the state Department of Transportation. Cities can apply for as much as $250,000 to make improvements around schools that offer kindergarten through eighth grades.
Alderman Jeff Olson, who proposed the idea, said he thought the best case for help with improvements could be made around New Albany Middle School, which has a number of students walking or riding bikes to school.
Olson said the city is working with Jeff Williams, an Oxford engineer with experience in developing a program that would be eligible for a grant.
The grant would provide 100 percent of the funding for improvements, he said.
“We probably won’t get $250,000, but anything is more than what we have,” he said.
Olson said he is particularly concerned about improving safety for the flow of middle school students from the school to church after-school programs as well as downtown in general.
The area around Central Avenue and Apple Street might be a focus, he said.
We support the board’s decision to go after the federal money.
We think too often communities fail to take advantage of programs that are available, either because of inertia or because they are not aware of them.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...