Lady Eagles defeat Myrtle
West Union wanted to start off on the right foot in division play, and did so, picking up a 40-30 win over Myrtle on Tuesday.
Having already secured the top seed for next week’s Union County Tournament, the Lady Eagles improved to 13-4 on the year, led by a 17-point performance by Julianna Garner. Meshay Cox gave the Lady Hawks a brief lead in the first quarter, but after a three-pointer by Gracen Conlee, the Lady Eagles controlled the game, leading to the win.
“It was an important game for us tonight,” West Union coach Kelly Robbins said. “Myrtle is not a bad team, and I knew it would be a challenge. I’m very proud of the girls for how they stepped up and prepared for this game, and for the most part, I think we did a pretty good job.”
After the Lady Eagles used a 15-0 run to take a 20-7 lead after the first, Myrtle cut the deficit to single digits on a basket by Geneshia Montgomery. Garner had 12 points at the break, where West Union led, 28-19.
Neither team did much offensively in the second half, with the Lady Eagles outscoring Myrtle, 12-11. Conlee finished with 11 points for West Union, and Cox led Myrtle with 14 points, followed by 13 points from Montgomery.
The Lady Eagles have now on four straight since losing to Ingomar on Dec. 14. Robbins likes where her team is heading, and they will have a rematch with the Lady Falcons next Tuesday.
“We are really striving to get better each and every game,” she said. “Even with the competition we’re playing, we’re finding ways to be successful in each game. It’s an added bonus to be successful in winning, but also to see how we’re improving throughout the season.”
Myrtle 60 West Union 38 (boys)
The Hawks picked up its first division win, led by a 26-point performance by Robert Montgomery.
The two teams were tied at four early on, preceding a 12-2 run that put the Hawks ahead by 10, 16-6.
Keon Hampton had 14 points for Myrtle (11-6, 1-0). Chase Taylor led West Union (7-10, 0-1) with 11 points.
Myrtle will host Ingomar on Friday, while West Union will travel to Mantachie.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...