U.S. Marshals ask for public help in locating Barretos
The U.S. Marshals Service is asking for the public’s help in finding a Union County couple who have been on the run for more than three years after being charged with manslaughter in the death of their two-year-old adopted daughter.
Janet and Ramon Barreto, formerly of New Albany, are also wanted for multiple counts of child neglect and endangerment involving the abuse of their other adopted children.
According to a press release sent out by the U.S. Marshals Service, the Barretos were last seen between fall 2010 and this past summer in the following areas of California: Huntington Park, Maywood, Bell, Bakersfield, Palmdale and Taft.
According to law enforcement officials, the Barretos have sold and may still be selling small dogs such as Yorkies, Maltese and Poodles to people on the street and through ads posted on Internet sites, investigators reveal. Janet Barreto would allegedly meet the buyers in area parking lots and quickly leave with their cash.
The couple also allegedly sold DVDs and CDs from their 1990’s white Dodge Caravan in area parking lots.
The couple moved from their Huntington Park rental in June 2012 after their new puppy mill became a neighborhood nuisance, investigators say. They told associates that they were moving to Texas, but investigators say they believe the couple could be anywhere. Both have ties to California, Texas, Florida, Mississippi and Mexico.
The couple disappeared in 2008 after being released on a $450,000 bond each. They had been charged after leaving their severely injured daughter at a northern Mississippi hospital May 18, 2008, telling the medical staff she had fallen from a shopping cart. Ena Barreto was immediately transported to a children’s hospital in nearby Memphis, Tenn., where she later died.
Janet Barreto is described as a white female, 5 feet 5 inches tall, weighing more than 300 pounds. Ramon Barreto is described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 5 inches tall, weighing approximately 137 pounds.
Janet speaks English and Spanish, while Ramon speaks only Spanish. Janet has used several aliases including Victoria and Vicky, while Ramon has used Ramiro, Juan and Christian. Janet is a diabetic who needs insulin and is known to visit area clinics for insulin. She reportedly wears only black clothing and has naturally thin black hair, but is known to wear blonde and red wigs.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the U. S. Marshals office at (800) 336-0102.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...