A brief look back at 2012
This last year provided a lot of highlights for sports in Union County, and with the new year beginning next week, this is a good time to reflect on some of the biggest headlines.
I’ll start with the retirement of Ingomar’s legendary basketball coach Norris Ashley. Stepping down from the job he held for so long was big news for the county, as well as his son, Jonathan, making the move from Myrtle to Ingomar to take his place.
We crowned state champions at New Albany for tennis and East Union for cross country. New Albany’s title is the second in three years, and for East Union, they are continuing a tradition of state titles in the fall sport.
Keeping with tennis, the advancement of the sport was seen in the new tennis courts opened at BNA Bank Park during the summer. On top of this, the New Albany Tennis Association was honored as the top tennis association in the state, and the town’s first tournament at the new facilities was recognized as well.
Simply put, tennis dominated a lot of the headlines throughout the year.
Going into football season, it was emotional for everyone who followed New Albany. Given the team’s offseason, they prevailed to not only overcome a 2-4 start, but also win the school’s second division title in three years, an great accomplishment for that program.
I’m sure I’ve missed a couple stories, but these are the ones that stuck out the most to me this year, and I’m looking forward to even more great stories in 2013.
Happy (early) New Year to all of you!
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6