A group of New Albany residents is once again passing around a petition seeking a vote to allow the sale of wine and spirits in the city limits. The group, simply named “New Albany Spirit,” has begun asking city residents to sign its petition and will hold a drive between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., this Friday and Saturday at three locations in the city. Group members, including Chairman Mary Jennifer Russell, emphasize that the petition is not to legalize alcohol in the city limits, but simply for the right to hold an election on the issue. According to the state ordinance governing the topic, any petition asking the municipality’s governing body to hold an election must be signed by at least 20 percent of its registered voters. In New Albany, the number of registered voters required to sign the document is approximately 1,100 residents of the city. The drive will be held at Sugaree’s Bakery, at 110 West Bankhead St., the Chrystal Plaza Shopping Center, to the right of the Walmart parking lot and at the Tallahatchie Center Shopping Center, to the left of the Walmart parking lot. The petition will also be available for registered voters to sign at other times as well. Residents may submit their full name and signature by mail to New Albany Spirit, P.O. Box 981, New Albany, MS, 38652, or return it to one of the following locations: Sugaree’s Bakery, 110 West Bankhead Street, Tallahatchie Gourmet, 119 West Main Street, El Agave, 650 Park Plaza Drive, D.C. Service Center, 415 Hwy 15 South, D.C. Tire Town, 503 East Bankhead Street, Eaton, Babb, and Smith PA, 115 West Bankhead Street, or Crye-Leike Elite Realty, 130 West Bankhead Street.
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs Union County West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball