Bulldogs, Lady Bulldogs earn division wins at North Pontotoc
Andrea Lewis hit a late three for the Lady Vikings, but it was the play of Jazmine Spears that gave New Albany the 64-63 division win on Friday.
Spears scored a game-high 32 points, 35 rebounds, and hit 10-of-11 free throws in the fourth quarter for the Lady Bulldogs.
“It was a great win to get our first division win against what’s probably the best team in our division,” New Albany coach John Stroud said. “I’m proud of the girls for how hard they played in the first half. We relaxed some in the second half, and Jazmine had an unbelievable game.”
Spears and Aravia Foote helped the Lady Bulldogs get out to a 20-10 lead after the first, and Spears had 16 points in the first half.
North Pontotoc out scored the Lady ‘Dawgs, 15-8, in the third, and Tia Davis tied the game at 38 in the frame. The two teams traded the lead in the fourth, with New Albany holding on for the win, hitting 12-of-17 free throws.
The win helps the Lady Bulldogs, as three of the remaining four division games will be played at home.
Erin Michael Carter finished with 12 points for New Albany, while Chelsea Mabry led the Lady Vikings with 15 points, followed by Lewis and Ariann Henry each with 11 points.
The Lady Bulldogs will take on Amanda Elzy at the Hickory Flat Christmas Classic this Friday.
New Albany 71 North Pontotoc 57 (boys)
Harrison Harding led the Bulldogs with 16 points in the division win over the Vikings.
Marques Barton put the Bulldogs ahead 21-10 in the first quarter, and the Bulldogs out scored North Pontotoc, 21-14, in the second quarter to lead 46-29 at the half.
Luke Dowdy would get the Vikings back within 10, 67-57, with 3:40 remaining, but the Bulldogs scored the final points to earn the win.
After Harding’s 16 points, J.T. Moore and Eric Chaney each had 12 points, and Bernard Spight scored 11 points for the Bulldogs.
Murphy Daniel led North Pontotoc with 18 points. This was only the second loss for the Vikings this season.
New Albany will play in the Hickory Flat Christmas Classic, beginning on Thursday.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2