Hickory Flat to honor first state championship team
Everyone around here knows and talks about New Albany’s three-peat in boys’ basketball during the 1980s. When I researched the county tournament last summer, I read about not only this, but I briefly touched on Hickory Flat, which saw a lot of success itself during this decade.
As part of this year’s homecoming festivities at Hickory Flat, the Rebels are honoring the school’s first state championship, which happened 30 years ago in March of 1983.
Because of this, I found myself back in the books again this week, reading up on the Rebels during this decade. The school first went to state in 1981, and that continued each year through 1987 (my apologies if they went past that year; that year was my stopping point).
It’s one thing to it to state, but seven consecutive seasons is pretty amazing, and during this span, the Rebels picked up three state titles.
This year’s homecoming will specifically honor the 1982-1983 team, coached by two men who are currently superientendents, Jack Gadd at Hickory Flat and Milton Kuykendall in Desoto County.
The team was honored during a parade on Thursday night and will again be honored tonight between the Lady Rebels’ and Rebels’ games, as well as during a reception to end the evening.
I look forward to learning more about this and being able to share that story with all of you.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2